- 142g tablespoons salted butter
- 170g bittersweet chocolate, chopped into pieces
- 160g granulated sugar
- 60g ground espresso
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 85g plain flour
- Position a rack in the centre of the oven and preheat the oven to 180degrees Spray an 8×8 square baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.
- Fill a medium saucepan half way full with water and heat over medium heat. Place a glass bowl over the saucepan so that it rests in the saucepan without touching the water. Add the butter and chocolate and allow to melt completely. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the sugar and espresso grounds and continue to mix until the sugar is completely mixed. Add the eggs, one at a time, waiting until each is incorporated before adding in the next. Add the cocoa powder along with the flour and mix until *JUST* incorporated. Do not over-mix.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth out the top. Bake the brownies for 30-38 minutes. I baked mind for 35 minutes exactly and they were slightly underdone and extra fudgy, which is exactly how we like them. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before removing from baking dish. Serve warm.
If using unsalted butter, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt. I purchase whole espresso beans and then grind them on the ‘espresso’ setting of the grocery store coffee grinders.